Explain this!
Ok, I went to a Jesuit High School. For those of u that don't know, a Jesuit is a member of the Society of Jesus. In this Society the men take three vows, The Vow of Chastity, The Vow of Poverty and the Vow of Obedience. In Christian Living class one day, one of the Jesuit priests, Father McWade, pointed out to us the importance of these vows and what they really meant to him. The one we never really got (apart from how he was 77 but kept the Chastity Vow:S) was what the Vow of Poverty really meant. He tried explaining to us that nothing they had they really owned. Everything they had in their possession was truly a necessity. If one of us went up to him and gave him a gift because we liked him as a teacher, he would have to give it away to someone who needed it. He pointed out that the only thing on him that could be considered his was his baseball cap that he always wore which protected him from the sun, needed because he walked EVERYWHERE he went. He pointed to his shoes, and told us they belonged to his dear friend and our former teacher Father Riel. The class became extremely silent during his explanation but someone asked what was different with the Brothers of the Poor Priests. He explained that they were Missionary Priests that took the Poverty Vow very seriously (and he didn't? was the question on everyone's mind). He further pointed out to us that these ppl gave up their lives with their families and went to live AMONGST those that seem like they have no hope. They lived like them, which was the only way they could really relate to the problems these ppl faced on a daily basis.
That was 5th form. In 6th Form the Key Club president and I set up a Christmas visit to Jacob's Well. We at 17 could not believe that ppl our age left their families in distant countries to come and take care of the ppl that society turned their backs on. We spoke to the youngest one there and he said sometimes he misses his family but what makes it easier is to see that he can contribute to making a hungry man smile after receiving a piece of bread. The thing with Jacob's Well was that everyone was taken in, no one was turned away EVER.
Now here's my point. Many ppl always say that ppl kill others b/c they feel no one understands them. They kill because they r poor and they resort to killing. They kill cause they get paid for it. Well, i'd like to know the gain they get from killing 2 defenseless men that are as POOR as they r, if not poorer, whose greatest crime was probably thinking that those same killers were worth the travel to Jamaica to try and save. I know how i sound right now but this killing struck a nerve today. Maybe cause i spoke with the men like those in this Mission. But to all those out there that feel it is simply the state of their pockets that drive ppl to this, i say to you they have no soul. That is simply it. When u disrupt and hurt the very ppl that look out for u, u have just crossed urself off of my list of Persons in this world.
Well, my mother always said, "Sorry fi mawga dawg an 'im tun roun' bite u." Jamaica u need to be saved! Let us together pray for our nation, we can't let it be taken from us that easily.

4 Comments:
I don't really know what to say. The story today ripped my heart out. Theories are swirling. I tell myself that the killing was an accident, that it's just a case of bad place/bad time, but I don't know. I don't know if I believe myself.
Nothing surprises me here anymore. I'm numb to it all. Yet I'm enraged. Two guys, my age, good people with the best of intentions... it's just not fair.
I'm looking to God for the strength to continue, and the will to make a change. We can't go on like this.
I haven't heard the details. I gleaned the story from your post. It hasn't quite hit me and I suppose I'll be livid when it does sink in. I've met many of them. They come to my church and I have a god-brother who is one. I worked with them to sell Father Holung tickets. I admire them!
I'm beginning to cry and soon I will be very pissed.
We fight against spiritual forces. its not guns or ppl. evil is real and i belive that. evil is getting bold. we need to stop looking to government and police to help us. this is war. we have the weapon at our disposal. Jesus
Amen brother. Thanx for the courage to say it!!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home