God I miss the game!
Last week, i went to visit my friend to beg her some money for Relay for Life. While at her dorm we sat reminiscing about our football days and where we both were during 98 world cup and 2002 world cup. She then says that she has booked her place at someone else's room as she has no t.v. where she is, and she has promised the person breakfast in exchange for the use of the t.v. Immediately i found myself feeling relieved. For a few weeks whenever i said anything about football people would look at me weird. How is it that ppl find it hard to believe that back in 1996 when the matches that JA played that seemed insignificant i was there? When stadium was empty of the blazing yellow shirts i was there. When they qualified and it was so packed that i had to be carried by some people that felt sorry that this girl was being trampled i was not there b/c of the hype, but because this was a team that i watched grow. I LOVE the GAME!
Now i don't ever profess to be some big star. Far from it! I have always joked about me being the original jack of all trades with my swimming and netball and football and volleyball. But of all the games i've played, football has always been my greatest love and the one i miss the most. Although it was the most rigorous of them all in terms of training it was the most fun of the lot.
The thing i always found funny was that none of the "Campion Ballers" ever looked the part. Somehow i realised ppl always expected us to look tuff and crufty...almost male, so that if Gillian and I said we were on the team they always thought we were lying. It still happens, but thats ok, cause we know we held Excelsior to a draw the year they won the competition and we beat teams like Ardenne and St. Hugh's that had players that "looked the part".
But every match i watch now i wish i continued playing the lovely sport. Ah well, i guess watching will have to suffice.

3 Comments:
As one who always surprises others by not "looking" like I went to Campion I can relate to that. There's nothing wrong with having a passion for sports. Dance may be more acceptable in highschool but ppl need to remember that in prep/primary/basic/all age school, the girls as much as the boys were out there on the field .
I'm just trying to imagine your in a wet jersey... wow...
Anyway, I can very much relate to the feeling. I hope you're not feeling that sense of helplessness I feel when I realize that I can't think of a way to once again get involved in the activity I love. It sucks... But I still intend to find a way to get that Kookaburra ball in my hand again.
Hey hey... did we really hav to go and call names of those teams u defeated ... HUH???
Power to the mighty St Hugh's - tho uv fallen in recent years *sigh* No matta... was mighty wen i was there.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home